The Diptych Project: Maps

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Diptych Project: two friends (once neighbors & now an ocean apart), one theme
Top photo: Evie, Bottom photo: Ann

Over the past few weeks my husband and I have traversed over 2500 miles.  We took our first big car trip with both children to join my family in Florida for Christmas.  Thankfully we not only survived it we actually had a really fun time travelling together.   Needless to say we look at a road map quite a lot!     

It's been strange going from not having a vehicle and primarily relying on public transport to now having a car and not using any public transport.  I really miss the ease of the bus and tube in London, though I am very grateful to have a boot/trunk for carrying all my groceries home.  In London I was constantly looking at the maps on my phone to see how far it would take me to walk somewhere or take public transport and now I am doing the same but selecting the driving route.  I'm sure as I get to know my new city more and more I'll need a map less and less but for now mapping my route to places is almost a daily occurrence.  I've gotten so used to the map on my phone that I hardly ever use a paper map anymore.  

On our trip to Florida between trying to conserve the data on my phone and the curiosity that happens when one is sitting in the same seat for hours on hand, I started to flip through the US atlas that we had wedged between our seats.  I remembered how much I enjoyed looking through it during car journeys with my parents.  I enjoyed following our route, figuring out how long it would take to drive from place to place and getting everyone in the car to guess the population of a city and then checking the atlas for the answer.  So, of course as I looked through the atlas during this recent trip, I began to do some of the same things as well as figure out what was within driving distance for weekend getaways.  I now have a long list of places to explore.  I think there will be a lot more map reading and dreaming to come!

Please visit Evie's blog to learn more about what inspired her photo.

You can see our previous diptychs herehere, here and here.





2 Response to The Diptych Project: Maps

January 8, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Nashville Nashville Nashville!!! But with me! Don't go without me!!!

January 8, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Yes, yes, YES!!! Let's do it!

oh beauty All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger